What is Atlas?
(Please read on after the first paragraph!)
From a technical perspective, Atlas is a real-time distributed high-availability schema-free restful spatial search and analytics engine with a mapping output component.
Sounds difficult? It really isn’t. Due to this architecture, Atlas supports the following Use and Business cases for your organization:
- Mobile GIS
- Web GIS
- Data Collection
- Wood Pole Inspection (Distribution)
- Steel Pole Inspection (Transmission)
- Damage Assessment
- Substation Inspection
- Vegetation Management
- Data Analytics
- Firewall monitoring
- Application Monitoring
(screenshots with explanation can be seen here: Atlas Screenshots)
The above use cases support a large variety of business processes typically used in a Utility: from call before you dig and inspections to IT security. In order to do so, data can be ingested from a variety of different data sources, such as:
- GIS (ESRI, Smallworld, Oracle Spatial)
- RDMS (Maximo, SAP, Oracle, MySQL)
- File based data (PDF, KML, Shape, GeoJSON , etc.)
Designed to be real time, scalable and low maintenance, a web application, a native Android and native iOS app are all part of the platform and offer the same end user experience:
- Google type search with suggestions,
- Forms for use in data collection,
- Job / Work Assignments to crews,
- Work approval flows,
- Field Collection data validations,
- Invoice items (mainly used by inspection contractors),
- Back ground imagery,
- Photo attachments
- Document Management,
- Third party data such as weather or FEMA flood maps,
- Map Measuring and drawing tools,
- GPS location and device tracking (AVL)
- Thematic mapping (color coding based on attribute values),
- Google Street view
- Augmented Reality
- Virtual Reality
- Machine Learning
Contextual natural language search with auto suggest, snippets and highlighting
Additional Technical Details
- No Middleware: Saves license and maintenance cost,
- Schemaless: no data conversion or issues with data model changes (NOTE: the power of schemaless should not be under estimated: this architecture makes it possible to get new customers up and running with i.e. inspections within hours!)
- No RDBMS: Saves cost and DBA work,
- Installs in approx a week instead of weeks or months,
- Real Time: Low latency, real time access to your data,
- Extensive caching functionality for when data is needed, but no connectivity is available,
- High Performance: Search Terabytes of data in milliseconds,
- Natural Language Search: Search all your data using simple natural language, including auto-correction and auto-complete. Search as you type. Voice activated search on Android: No complex queries
- Open Architecture: A Restful API allows data exchange between Atlas and other enterprise systems,
- On-premise or Off-premise hosting (we host in AWS, but Azure and others are also possible).
- HIGHLY scalable: bringing an additional server online for load balancing, backup or DR takes a mere 30 minutes.
Atlas has an extensive road map and upgrades are provided as part of the maintenance agreement or subscription. Product roadmap is determined by customer and market demand as well as technology or innovation upgrades.
The Atlas client runs on desktops, Android phones and tablets, and iOS (iPhone & iPad).
Image: Atlas running on Android, iOS
Atlas leverages the power of phones and tablets that support GPS. You no longer need dedicated GPS devices. You can track your fleet without the need for another application or dedicated hardware in your trucks.
Fleet tracking using GPS
Real Time Data
How long can you wait for insights on your moving data? With Atlas, all data is made available in seconds for search and analytics. No more waiting for the nightly ‘data dump’. This means that you can use Atlas as a digital wall map to show SCADA and outage information, and track your fleet, without the need to multiple systems and multiple screens. Your dispatchers will be happy.
Image: Use Atlas as a digital wall map
Real Time Analytics
Combining the speed of search with the power of analytics changes your relationship with your data. Interactively search, discover, and analyze to gain insights that improve your processes and streamline your operations. Your business analysts will be happy.
Image: Analytics Dashboard
5GB or 5TB? Atlas allows you to start small and scale horizontally as you grow. When you add more data or more users, we simply add more nodes, and let the cluster automatically scale with your demand. Hundreds of nodes? No problem. Your IT folks will be happy.
Atlas will automatically detect new or failed nodes, and reorganize and rebalance data automatically, to ensure that your data is safe and accessible. In addition, Atlas is architected to allow cross datacenter replication. This takes high availability to a whole new level.
Atlas allows you to get started fast. Simply add data and it will automatically detect the data structure and types, and make your data searchable. Your DBA’s will be happy.
Atlas is API driven. Our own apps are using the API. Almost any action can be performed using a simple RESTful API using JSON, XML or other formats over HTTP(S). Its powerful, developer-friendly query API supports geolocation, contextual did-you-mean suggestions, autocomplete, and result snippets. Your developers will be happy.
Use the Atlas API to build or connect to your own applications.
Need a custom map? No problem. Atlas is easy to customize for your specific needs.
Image: Use natural language search to find data fast.